Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Gardening- benefits

Have you ever thought about getting started in gardening? In the midst of my busy schedule, I make time to garden. Food straight from the garden is packed with nutrients and flavor. Gardening is a time of relaxation for me, but more than that- there are many benefits: non- pesticide/organic foods, fresh and nutritious- the longer food sits on the shelf and thousands of miles most foods have traveled depletes much nutrients. It tastes far better. My boys will not consume many vegetables but from the garden they will eat peppers and bell peppers and other vegetables- because it tastes far better. It is a hobby that is worthwhile developing. This year I gave each of my boys a plot to call their own and this is now part of their chores. Through gardening, they are learning patience, a skill they can use for the rest of their lives. We have started out small and gradually our gardening is getting bigger. They are having success growing squash, pickled cucumbers, tomatoes, corn, okra and herbs.

No comments:

Post a Comment